On looking back through the blog I have realised that I forgot to show you my last completed watercolour picture. I am also posting them on this blog so I can keep a record of how I am progressing.
This picture was done over two weeks classes – so just under 4 hours I suppose. I used a method called wet on wet. In this you do a wash as your background colour – in this case it was a yellowy orange and then you blob on the highlight colours while it is still wet. So for this leaf I blobbed on the burnt red and greens. By adding the additional colours while the base is still wet means that the colours merge a little and you get a nice background. Once this is dried you can apply another thin wash over to dull down the differences between the colours. Then it is a case of adding the details: the stems and veins. Finally with a splayed dry brush you add in some fine lines off the veins to give the impression of the lights and shades in the leaf – which after all is far from flat.
I’m not sure what the leaf is from – I chased it down in the local supermarket car park before my art class like a woman possessed. My teacher had told me to get some leaves with lots of colour in and then I missed two weeks classes and the leaf change seemed to be a little early so there was little around to choose from. This leaf fluttered past me, teasing me with its red, pink, orange, yellow and green. No doubt there were people who were thinking I was a loon. I think it might be a Liquidamber as there are some growing in the supermarket car park but if anyone has a better idea I would love to know so I can label it.
I have now moved on to an Iris seedhead which is being painted from a photograph so I can take far more time and really work on getting the fine detail right which is something I am struggling to learn.