Finally got some time this weekend to work in the garden. There seemed so much to do to make me feel like I am in control. So I decided to start at the beginning of one border and just work my way round, clearing leaves and cutting back perennials.
I seemed to get distracted by the Stipa gigantea which had taken a bit of a battering in the recent snow. I cleared the leaves that had collected in the centre of the plant, I must admit some of them have been there since last winter. I cut back the old flowering stems and wasted a ridiculous waste of stems pulling out the dead leaves which I dont think I have really done for a couple of years. Removing the dead leaves thinned the plant right out and actually made the new leaves seem to lift. Just to finish my hairdressing session off I trimmed the ends of the leaves so they didnt drag on the ground so much and again helped lift the plant.
I am really pleased with the result, the plant looks a lot healthier and all ready for the spring. However, I don’t think there is a career for me as a hairdresser.
After the haircut