Many moons ago, well in June, I blogged about making some Pyjama Bottoms.
Well, I have finally finished them!
They weren’t hard to make and the instructions are pretty straight forward. The reason they have taken me so long is because I think there are more hours in the day than there are and that I have realised that whilst I used to like dress-making when I was about 18 it doesn’t inspire me like it used to. Back then I was living at home and it was before we had our own televisions in our rooms or computers so if I didn’t want to watch whatever programme Mum and Dad were watching I used to occupy myself with sewing. Nowadays I need to keep my hands busy as I have a bad habit of chewing my fingers but I want something I can do while I am relaxing and watching the television – dress-making isn’t it.
Anyway, over the last two afternoons I have set to and finished the PJ bottoms. I decided I had to finish them before I was allowed to start any other projects so this motivated me. I had done all the hard bit with the fly and seams so all that was left was to make the waistband, thread the elastic through and then hem the legs. We did laugh when I tried them on as they were so very long. I had to cut off 10cms before I could hem them which turned out to be the most stressful part of the whole make as I was terrified of cutting them too short or even cutting one twice!! As you can see from the photograph above I can’t even tie a bow properly!
I am rather pleased with my neat sewing around the hems with two lines almost running parallel. I think I might even get some good comments for my sewing if I was to show them to May Martin on the Great British Sewing Bee.
Anyway, they are finished now and are very comfortable indeed. However, I don’t think I will be doing much more dressmaking for the time being and will return to my crochet and tapestry.