Sampler Update


I have been whizzing through the sampler which I started about a month ago.  It has been really enjoyable so far and I only have 3 more bands to do to finish it.  I should have smoothed the fabric out better before I took a photograph as it looks a little wobbly and it isn’t.

Now I am thinking about the next project and I might just pluck up courage and go for a project in Crewel Twists which will be a bit of a leap for me but as my eldest points out if I want to improve I need to take a risk rather than sticking with what I know well!  The first challenge is tracking down all the materials including beads.  I am already stuck with the material as it is an Australian book and so I am now hoping that someone on the Stitchin forum will be able to translate the fabric into something I can buy in the UK.

Author: Helen Johnstone

I live in Malvern, Worcestershire and am a very keen gardener. I started the Patient Gardener Blog in January 2008 as a way of recording what was happening in my garden and connecting with other like-minded people. I started a second blog PatientGardener 365 January 2013 in order to try and post a photo a day to capture what is growing in my garden or places I have visited

7 thoughts on “Sampler Update”

    1. Hi Rachel
      It says hopsack but I have worked out I need linen twill, I just need to track some down.

  1. Lovely to see this Helen – in the ‘old days’ when I had time to sit down this was my embroidery of choice and I made several named samplers but also have a collection of vintage ones

    1. I have tracked down someone who sells linen twill which is a relief as I looked at evenweave and got very confused with the counts and how these compared to what I was looking for. It the problem with buying on line and having nowhere local where you can look at fabric

Please feel free to leave comments as its always lovely to get feedback. I try to respond to comments as much as possible but sometimes life and work get in the way but I will do my best to respond especially if your comment is a question.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.