The second motif on the Spring Trellis crewelwork embroidery is done and I am really pleased with my progress to date. The instructions are from Hazel Blomkamp’s book Crewel Twists which brings fresh ideas to Jacobean embroidery. Basically, I think, the idea is that you take the basic stitches of Jacobean crewel work and you embellish them seemingly with masses of beads.
This is how the second motif fits with the first motif – kinda. I didn’t transfer the pattern very well so some of it is rather free hand but then I think it brings its own individuality to the work. I’ve felt more confident with the second motif and I think I have stopped worrying so much about whether the finish is as good as in the book. After all I started on this project as a way to learn new stitches and new approaches and to help me feel braver.
This photo shows the overall design (sorry for the glare) and having discovered it at the end of the instructions it reassures me as I think the finish on this version isn’t that dis-similar to mine.
So onwards and upwards to the third motif, the flower at the top left. This has two pages of instructions which initially lead me to believe it wouldn’t be too bad but looking at it carefully I suspect the author has made some assumptions based on the first 6 pages of instructions and it really is as complicated as the first motif. First up is some more of the multi-colour checker box satin stitch which is incredibly time-consuming and nearly put me off completely in the first motif as it really showed up my inconsistent satin stitch. However, can you see the bottom petals, they look rather interesting and a new challenge!!