Yellow describes this weekend – the sun has shone, the daffodils have bloomed and I have had two happy days gardening. Last weekend having only one day’s good weather I charged around the garden and the same was true yesterday but today, being greeted by a second sunny day the sense of panic gardening eased and I almost managed to potter!
As ever I had a ridiculous list of jobs I wanted to achieve this weekend. The priorities were pruning the roses and emptying the second compost bin. The drive for pruning the roses came from a talk last Monday at the local horticultural society on roses. The speaker advocated hard pruning at this time of year. It turns out that despite my smallish garden I have acquired 9 roses, with most of them purchased in the last two years but it still didn’t take long to prune them. As for the compost bin, as I said in my last post, my compost making is really slap dash. I bought an extra bin this time last year but it ended up being filled with the turf we lifted to make the Big Border so my plan for being organised failed. Anyway, the first bin was emptied about a month ago but the bins were still overflowing and out of hand. With my eldest son’s help we soon emptied the second bin – it was good to see that only a small layer on top was not composted down. The contents were put on the Big Border as a thick mulch as you can see above (I must round off that angular corner on the path).
After this arduous job was completed I spent the rest of the day weeding and tidying the cottage garden border along the top of the wall. It was pleasing to see the Delphinium shoots just beginning to nose through the soil. As I have in past years, I took the opportunity to scatter some pre-emptive slug pellets. I have found that doing this gives the plants a chance to get good strong shoots above ground and they seem to do well. At my local HPS group they call this approach The Valentines Day Massacre because shoots often start to appear around Valentines Day!
I know that I planted out some peonies in the Big Border but as yet there are no signs of any emerging shoots. However, the tree peony which has had a rough ride in recent years since I bought it, is rewarding me for planting it out last spring and feeding it by producing some lovely new shoots. Who knows this year it may flower again like it was when I bought it, I seem to remember it had a beautiful soft yellow flower.
Today, I started off with a little planting. First up a Grevillea victoriae in the front garden border to add a little evergreen colour and also hopefully some more of the wonderful exotic grevillea flowers which I love. Then the last big plant move for a while – moving a large persicaria from near the workshop to the woodland border. It was a bit of a beast but it is moved and well watered in which means I can start to sort out the area around the workshop soon.
Next up I brought all the hardy succulents out of the garage where they have over wintered. I stored them under cover, despite their hardiness, due to the plants being in small pots and I was worried they would freeze if left outside. The majority of these plants are destined for the border in the front garden under the window along with the aloes etc. They need a lot of tidying up but I think I will do that when I have decided what is going where. In the meantime they have had a good water so they should perk up.
I had planned to sow more seeds but instead I decided that I needed to follow my resolution this year to be a better gardener and sort through the cold frames. They are both full of pots of seeds, some sown a year ago, and seedlings from last year. Some of the seedlings have died over winter. I suspect that the compost I potted them up in was too damp which is why all my compost is now under cover. I have decided I’m not allowed to sow any more seeds until I have sorted both cold frames out – not sure if I will stick to that. The auriculas grown from seed two years ago were all repotted with fresh compost and last year’s auricula seedlings were also potted up.
One cold frame has been sorted now and a start on the second. I am thrilled to see I have peony seedlings from seed sown last year. Peonies start by putting a root down first so it can be a good year before there is any sign of life above soil – patience is essential.
The work was rounded off by sweeping up the patio and removing the last of the winter debris and mulching the roses with manure.
A completely satisfying and rewarding weekend – here’s hoping that next weekend will be as good.