The Patient Gardener

For the love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness – Gertrude Jekyll


Botanical Drawing

Watercolour 12 – Hellebore (never ending)

A quick update on my never-ending watercolour painting.  This is number 12 in my learning curve.  As you will see from this post I have been painting this for some time but if I am honest it not that long... Continue Reading →


Watercolours – going it alone

As long-term readers of this blog will know I dabble in botanical art.  I use the word 'dabble' advisedly since my abilities are far from the pristine scientifically correct paintings you see at RHS shows.  I have been going to... Continue Reading →

Hellebore Painting – Update

Some readers will know that I dabble in botanical art.  I am far from an expert as I only go to a class once a week during term time and have been going for a couple of years now.  As... Continue Reading →

Watercolour No 11 – Aquilegias

Anyone who has read my blog for a while will know that I am learning to do botanical art.  I  have been attending weekly clashes for a couple of years now.  Although the classes are only 2 hours long and... Continue Reading →

A Review: Wild Flowers by Sarah Raven

I was very interested to receive an advanced information sheet from Bloomsbury Books for Sarah Raven's new book 'Wild Flowers'. I have always been interested in wild flowers. I remember doing a project over the summer holidays when I was... Continue Reading →

Watercolour No 10 – Iris sibirica

Finally I painting that I am really proud of but then again I am a tough critic of my own work.  It has taken quite a few lessons to finish this and there are definitely areas which I wish I... Continue Reading →

Watercolour No 9 – Iris foetidus

Regular visitors to my blog will know that I go to an art class which is called 'Botanical Illustration'.  However, this title is a little loose as during the 18 month I have ben going there have been pictures of... Continue Reading →

Watercolour No 8: Autumn Leaf

On looking back through the blog I have realised that I forgot to show you  my last completed watercolour picture.  I am also posting them on this blog so I can keep a record of how I am progressing. This... Continue Reading →

Watercolour No 7 – Narcissus Actea bulbs

Those of you who drop into my blog on a fairly regular basis will know that I have been dabbling in botanical illustration and attending classes.  I started my second year in September and have just completed picture no 7.... Continue Reading →

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: