Pot Amalgamation

Finished pot
Finished pot

I  have the strange and unusual experience of sitting down on a Saturday afternoon to do nothing.  I have been busy though, the last two weeks at work have been very very busy physically and mentally and I think I did lots last weekend on the back of the adrenalin rush I got from being involved in a very successful week of graduation ceremonies at work (or commencement ceremonies as I think they call them in the US).  However, now I am feeling a little weary so it is time to listen to my body and put my feet up.

Saying that I have managed an hour in the garden today to get my fix and to feel like I am getting through all the jobs I need to do.  Having  sat in a cold hall this morning at the Allotment Association AGM I needed some sort of physical activity to  warm me up so I decided to amalgamate some pots that I have been looking at for a few weeks now.

The raw ingredients
The raw ingredients

The first pot contains a bay tree which I bought for a couple of pound at a garden club plant sale probably 4 years ago.  The bay has grown well and withstood two very cold winter (-18C) but is looking too top-heavy for its pot.  When I looked at the bottom of the pot the roots were emerging so definitely well over due for some potting up.

The second pot which I forgot to photograph before starting is a large grey pot with two sprawling ivies in it. It did have something else in the middle, I forget what it was now, but whatever it was it died over winter and the pot has been looking forlorn and in need of something ever since.  I have been looking at it and wondering what I could add to contrast with the ivy, which I wanted to keep, and to add some height.  Suddenly I thought of the bay tree and the penny dropped.  This was during one of my middle of the night mental plant moving sessions which are proving to be quite inventive although a little tiring.

underplanting of violas
underplanting of violas

Anyway this afternoon I decided this would big a quick and easy job to do before I sat down.  Silly me!  It took ages to get the bay tree out of its pot and involved a lot of compost moving and much huffing and puffing but I did it in the end.  I am pleased with the result I think the bay tree adds the needed height  and its new pot will allow it to grow more without it being swamped by compost.  I had the foresight to buy a tray of violas at the garden centre yesterday and these have gone in to finish off the pot.  They are white and pale yellow and I think they pick up on the white variegation of the ivy well.  I  deliberately decided not to include bulbs as I think it would be too much.

I also planted some  more violas in a pot on the table of delights and some bargain bucket tulip bulbs are planted in spare pots for  an extra bit of  spring colour  I can sit down.